Everybody has their own reasons for doing it and there are a million excuses you could make not to. Regret the things you do not the things you don’t do. After all, nobody lays on their death bed wishing they worked more.
There are a lot of these lists out there about why you should travel… But I am spending 11 hours waiting for my delayed flight to the Philippines, so I would write my own.
So here goes. 29 reasons you should travel the world right now.
1. Food. Mangoes, BBQ fish of the day. Food cooked with spices and flavours you can only dream of.
2. Cheap. Eat for £2 a day. Party for £3 a night. Sleep and travel around for less than it would cost you to get 20 minutes in a taxi at home. The pound is strong at the moment. So is the US dollar so make the most of it. The Euro? Meh, it could be worse!
3. When you are old people will want to hear your stories. ‘When I was your age’ we have all heard this line so many times and sometimes wish we could just go to sleep. When I am old the kids will be bringing all their mates to hear my stories.
4. Being foreign is sexy. Yes it is. People from another country will automatically find you 50% sexier than anyone at home would. Lets face it, who could resist this thick Essex accent?
5. Some of these places will be gone one day or turned into shopping malls and apartment buildings.
7. It won’t be the end of the world if you miss your favourite TV program any more. While kayaking across the bluest ocean you have ever seen, my travel friend turned to me and said ‘Just think some people are at home watching TV right now’. We both laughed.
8. You will learn about geography. This comes in very hand in pub quizzes and if you ever get on a TV game show.
9. You meet loads of hot boys (or girls) with good bodies from surfing and kayaking and tans and long hair and amazing foreign accents. Backpackers are sexy!
10. Your Facebook profile picture will be amazing.
11. Everybody looks better with a tan. FACT.
12. You will have an amazing butt and thighs from carrying that backpack up millions of flights of stairs. You will be squatting nearly 100kg everyday.
13. You get to make an awesome travelblog which can act in place of your CV in years to come.
14. The lack of stress and all the moisturiser you have to apply will make you look super young… Yes I am 26!
16. There is only one cure for wanderlust!
17. Travel teaches you to be confident, spontaneous, flexible, adventurous, organised, patient and creative.
18. Wild monkeys! They may steal your s**t but they are so cute!
19. You learn to be OK with not being OK, lost and a little bit scared.
20. The little petty things don’t matter any more. You realise in the grand scheme of things you are just a tiny speck!
21. You not need stuff any more. Paying £200 for a handbag is ridiculous, think of the plane tickets you could buy!
22. Tomorrow is promised to no one.
23. Once is never enough. You may have done it before. You may have spent a summer abroad when you were at University, Do it again. It only gets better.
24. Travelling helps you keep life in perspective. You only get one life but if you do it right, once is enough!
25. Every country has a new type of alcohol you can try. Shots!
26. Travelling decreases cortisol levels (stress hormone), cortisol causes an increase in belly fat. Travelling therefore gives you a six pack!
27. Travelling helps reduce depression. This is an actual fact.
28. You may be able to turn the crazy travelling stories into a bestselling novel… Elizabeth Gilbert (Eat, Pray, Love) got inspiration from Italy, Indian and Bali and Alex Garland wrote The Beach about travelling Thailand while in El Nido, Palawan.
29. Why not? Why not see amazing sunsets, the most epic beaches and views and meet the most awesome fun people on the planet?