It is no secret, I love food. I am not monogamous to one type of food however. I love all food. Well I thought I loved all food. It is true that in other countries and cultures they eat some things us westerners would find, Erm well, a little strange and the Philippines is no exception. Here is a list of some foods I loved and some that I did not!
- Fruit, Mangoes, bananas, papayas, pineapples. All super fresh and juicey.
- Halo-Halo, an amazing dessert made from milk, ice cream, kidney beans and fruits.
- Barbecue sticks of chicken, pork and chorizo.
- Adobo, a dish with chicken, beef or pork cooked with vinegar and soy sauce.
- Siopio, meat filled bun. Shredded meat in a sweet sauce similar to a Chinese barbecued pork filling.
- They have so many bananas in the Philippines they ave invented, Banana Ketchup, mashed banana, with sugar, vinegar and spices, coloured with red food dye.
- Most of the food is cold. It is took hot too cook in the day so a big batch is cooked in the morning and served throughout the day. Cold curry anyone!?
- Chicharon, fried pork rinds. Can also be made from chicken, mutton, beef, fish, fish skin and innards.
- Pinikpican, a chicken is beaten to death, dressed and roasted whole on a spit. Pinikpik means “beaten (with a hard object)”. This is done to infuse the chicken meat with blood.
- Balut, a boiled egg with an underdeveloped duck embryo inside. Apparently it is full of protein!
- Chicken heads and feet. Luckily they remove the beaks and claws!
- Chicken intestines, enough said.
I am seriously craving a Nandos and a bacon sandwich right now. There is some amazing food here and to be honest, you can get practically anything. There is even a McDonalds on the beach!
Oooh little fact for you, Nandos originated from South Africa!
I thought you could never get a bad pizza… Until I came to Asia. It is either amazing, or awful! Yes eating local food is a lot cheaper but sometimes a girl has to do what a girl has to do… Western food is always readily available but it is not cheap.
Well it is cheap compared to Europe but not for South East Asia standard. Cheesecake for £3, Nachos for £4 and burgers for £4. They were not in the budget but after ten weeks I decided to treat myself! Well it was Valentines day after all!
This time next week I will be back in Thailand where I can have Thai Red curry for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Yippee!