Five random things I will miss about the Philippines

So Tomorrow concludes my month in the Philippines. As well as being one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, it has also been very educational. I have seen a lot of weird and wonderful things here. Here are a few random things I will miss.

20150131_234645

Everything being a beautiful photo

On a 4 hour bus ride in the Philippines it is not uncommon to hear ‘Stop the bus’. No someone does not need to pee. They want to take a photo! Everywhere here is so beautiful, the photos do not do it justice. The bus drivers are very obliging and will stop in the middle of the road or where ever you wish, no health and safety here, just so you can take the perfect photo.

chocomucho

Choco Mucho bars

I have not had my daily Galaxy or Cadbury’s  caramel fix for months. The versions of it they do sell here are fakes and not the same. How am I suppose to survive. Well I will tell you how, CHOCO MUCHO Bars. Amazing! They come in a few different varieties from milk chocolate, dark chocolate and peanut butter, My favourite being the white chocolate covered waffer with a layer or caramel. Yum and they are only 10PHP (16p).

sallyrum

Cheap coconut rum

Boracay Rum coconut flavour is DELICIOUS! A bottle of ‘fake Malibu’ for £2. Enough said.

kidsboracay1

The happy children

They play bare foot in the street, having races by rolling a bike tire with a stick. They don’t have iPads or Nintendo DS’ but they are the happiest friendliest children I have ever met. They play in the sand and build the most amazing sandcastles. They are super cute too!

chicken

People with pet chickens

Erm so I have seen lots of people carrying around chickens. I am going to believe they are their pets and not their dinner. Please do not upset me by telling me other wise.  They carry them around for ages. One man sat next to me on a bus for two hours with his little friend!

Well there you have it. Some loveable, random qualities about the Philippines that I will miss. I now leave the country of £0.10 chocolate muffins, beautiful beaches and happy children. I miss you already Philippines!

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

Sarah February 21, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Ah it’s crazy the things that you get used to when you spend time in a country. I’ve never seen chickens on a bus, but I’m sure if they’re at that close proximity it must be a pet…;) Kind of like the Filipino version of walking the dog, right?
Sarah recently posted…Unlost at Portobello Road and the desire to travel timeMy Profile

sallymunt February 22, 2015 at 6:46 am

Yes it MUST be a pet. He was definitely taking it home to cuddle and pat… The chicken seemed very happy anyway!

JONtotheworld February 22, 2015 at 5:24 am

I can’t help but smile when I saw the choco mucho bar pic and reading about the children :) you have really explored the Philippines.

seems like you have made a lot of friends here and I am sure they’ll also miss you. :)
JONtotheworld recently posted…The Higher Purpose of Corporate WorkersMy Profile

Amy February 22, 2015 at 10:16 am

OMG – I miss Chocomuchos, they are delicious! The Philippines remains one of my favourite countries, it’s so beautiful and relatively untouched. Enjoy the time you have left there :)
Amy recently posted…Driving (Il)legally in VietnamMy Profile

sallymunt February 22, 2015 at 6:33 pm

And they are so cheap :)

Michelle | Lights Camera Travel February 23, 2015 at 5:08 am

I LOVED my time in the Philippines! I too will miss the cheap coconut rum, but especially the happy children. Too right you are… When I was in Sagada there were children running around with mud on their faces and hanging off the back of their neighbours utes! It was so refreshing to be around that.
Michelle | Lights Camera Travel recently posted…Welcome to the Brand New Lights Camera TravelMy Profile

Tara February 23, 2015 at 8:56 am

I 100% agree with all of these. God the choco mucho bars. So cheap and so good! Same goes for the rum!
Tara recently posted…The Worst Types of People When FlyingMy Profile

Jaimee February 24, 2015 at 7:16 am

I miss the 90’s music. It’s almost like taking a step back in time. And the sunsets! Such gorgeous sunsets =)

sallymunt February 24, 2015 at 5:51 pm

Yes 90s po and 80s power ballads. I love the music!

Aleah | SolitaryWanderer.com February 27, 2015 at 5:55 pm

I love it that you didn’t write about the “usual” things travelers say they’ll miss about our country. Choco mucho?? haha Not really what I’d expect to read here! I agree though, it’s so cheap for the price. And chickens…man, you’re the first foreigner I’ve heard mention chickens without cursing!
Aleah | SolitaryWanderer.com recently posted…Pay It Forward: 8 Random Acts of Kindness on the RoadMy Profile

sallymunt February 27, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Haha there may have been a few curse words when the cockerel outside my hostel in El Nido gave us a wake up call at 5am! I just went into a 7/11 in Bangkok and they wanted THB 30 for a chocolate bar… That is triple the price of a Choco Mucho, I nearly cried!

Nika February 28, 2015 at 10:43 am

I think the roosters you saw in local transportation are more of a prized pet variety. Men usually carry them to cockfights which is one of the common past times for many Filipino males here, especially in provinces. They’re really treated very well by their owners.

Although some of these native chickens are eaten as well for local dishes like Tinola. The chickens from a poultry farm here doesn’t taste as amazing as native chickens for Tinola. Native chickens are more expensive than the commercial bred ones, so it’s usually prepared for special occasions like birthdays and other family celebrations.

sallymunt February 28, 2015 at 11:12 am

He was treating it well. I fact all the animals I saw in the Philippines looked very well treated :)

Lux Ganzon March 5, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Glad you enjoyed your stay. :)

With the chocolates though, you should have visited Supermarkets like Rustan’s. I’m sure we have the original versions here too. :)
Lux Ganzon recently posted…I’m Never Too Old For ThisMy Profile

Leo Avila | OverdrivingWithLeo April 27, 2015 at 7:13 am

These simple things are often missed out by a lot of visitors in the country! Boracay rum is definitely yummy, while lounging by the beach and watching kids make amazing sand castles.

One thing you should try when you visit here again: sing in a karaoke machine! See you soon!
Leo Avila | OverdrivingWithLeo recently posted…A place where Luxury meets Convenience: The District BoracayMy Profile

sallymunt sallymunt April 28, 2015 at 8:59 am

Haha the Filipinos do love karaoke! I sing like a drowning cat so thought it was best I avoid it :)

Adrenaline Romance June 23, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Hehe! The chicken is a pet and a moneymaker. Cockfighting is a very popular bloodsport here in the Philippines, and people pay sums of money on their champion chickens. It has been said that many true-blue cockfighting enthusiasts pet their chicken more than their wives.
Adrenaline Romance recently posted…Vertical Bivouac at Kiokong White Rock Wall: An Extremely High Adventure (Part 1)My Profile

eric buenaventura January 6, 2016 at 8:10 am

All of this is only in the Philippines :) I’m so proud to be a Filipino, my favorites that never fails me to full fill my needs a flavorful sauce that always there since I was a child… Source of flavor of chocolate that needs my tummy, when it hurts… A rum that shared with my friends and family for many years now… :) that all builds who I’m right now.