How to survive the Full Moon Party and do it cheaply

Sun Rise Beach, Haad Rin. Home of the Full Moon Party

Sun Rise Beach, Haad Rin. Home of the Full Moon Party

I may not be 22 any more, but at the grand age of *cough, cough* 31, I survived my second Full Moon Party in Koh Phagnan. 5 days of all night beach, jungle and pool parties! Not only did I come through this event having had an epic time, I had no injuries, I lost and broke nothing and I did it super cheaply!

I arrived in Haad Rin 3 days before Full Moon. I had already booked fm2accommodation as Haad Rin can get very busy during full moon week. I chose to stay in HaadRin as that is where the main party is and a. I wanted to be able to pop back to my room if I was tired or needed the toilet or more money and b. I am too tight to pay for taxis everyday.

Some people think Full Moon is a shameless example of tourist behaving badly and with an estimated 20,000 to 30,000 people attending you do have to be careful and take the festivities with a pinch of salt. There are going to be drunk idiots and there are going to be people doing ridiculous things but I still enjoyed dancing on the beach until sunrise with new friends, bucket of alcohol in hand!

fullmoonsallyThe nights leading up to full moon where spent drinking and dancing on the beach or at the Jungle Experience. Buckets of vodka and mixer cost around £3 and two were more than enough for me!

Here is what I spent my 5 days in Had Rin over Full Moon

Accommodation -450THB a nigh, yep at £9 a dorm bed it is pretty pricy.

Food – Thai food is about 60-100 THB a meal and at 2 meals a day that is a bargain. A drunk snack ranges from 30 to 80THB.

Water set me back 30THB a day

Clothing and paint for the party came to about 500THB

and of course alcohol… 5 nights of drinking, 2 buckets a night, maybe 3 was 1,700 THB.

A grand total of 5,650 THB. At 50THB to 1GBP, the whole 5 days cost me £110.

fmpbuckets

Probably what a lot of people would spend on a night out in England, not 5 days in paradise.

It cost me £30 to get to Koh Phangnan from Bangkok and as soon as the party period was over, the cost of my dorm bed went down to 100THB (£2), so i chose to stay and enjoy the beach for a few more days!

So how did I come through this crazy beach party in one piece and love every minute of it.

I drank a lot of water in the day time and always had a bottle next to my bed for when I woke up. I did wee a lot though!

I stayed with my friends and did not walk off or go anywhere alone. I made them come to the toilet with me every five minutes!

I left all my valuables in my locker and only took the cash I needed. I carried it in my bra.

Fire Limbo!

Fire Limbo!

I wore shoes so I did not cut my feet and I stayed away from the fire skipping. My friend fell off a podium and tore the ligaments in her shoulder. We all told her to stop moaning and drink more. Sympathetic arn’t we!

It was a crazy 5 days. I think I need another five to recover! I am going to see what the rest of Koh Phagnan has to offer!

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Chris April 7, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Glad to be able to read of the experience through your eyes!

Even 6 years ago (when I was in Thailand) it didn’t appeal all that much… even less so now in my mid thirties! ;-)
Chris recently posted…Yellowtail: Diving Little CornMy Profile

sallymunt sallymunt April 8, 2015 at 10:23 am

Now it is off my bucket list I do not think I need to do it again. It has a bead rep though. It was great fun and definitely deserves more love than people give it haha!

Tracie Howe April 8, 2015 at 12:04 am

Wow, 5 full days? I’m not sure I could handle just one. Of course I avoid crowds, and with 4 years on you, I’m probably too old to party too hard anyway.
Tracie Howe recently posted…New Orleans Day Trip #3: Avery IslandMy Profile

Doreen Pendgracs April 8, 2015 at 12:23 am

sounds like quite the wild time! Fire skipping wouldn’t be for me, but meeting some fun people would be great. Sounds like a memorable and affordable trip you’ll never forget!
Doreen Pendgracs recently posted…Loving the vibe at South BeachMy Profile

Rashaad April 10, 2015 at 2:47 am

I actually went to the Full Moon Party ten-and-a half years ago and I stayed at Ko Phangan for about a week before the party. Which allowed me to find a relatively inexpensively place. I had a blast at the Full Moon Party!
Rashaad recently posted…Top Ten UK Moments (5-1)My Profile

Rachel April 10, 2015 at 10:53 am

This so does not appeal to me at my age! Even at your age I don’t think I would have lasted more than a day. Kudos for surviving it unharmed!
Rachel recently posted…The night noises of GuadeloupeMy Profile

Anne | Girl Chasing Sunshine April 10, 2015 at 1:51 pm

Is it still worth going to? I must admit that I’m planning to go even with the increasingly bad reputation just to cross it off my bucket list!
Anne | Girl Chasing Sunshine recently posted…8 Basic Etiquette and Tips for Bus Chance PassengersMy Profile

sallymunt sallymunt April 11, 2015 at 8:26 am

It is definitely still worth it. I loved it! Just stay away from the drunk idiots and you will have a great time!

Anna April 11, 2015 at 7:40 pm

It’s good to see that you enjoyed the full moon party. I didn’t go as I thought it would be all 18 yr olds getting too drunk and being stupid but maybe I should check it out next time. How long are you a staying in Thailand?
Anna recently posted…6 Reasons why Staying in a Hostel is AwesomeMy Profile

sallymunt sallymunt April 12, 2015 at 3:08 am

That is what I thought too, but I was pleasantly surprised to be mid age range. There were a lot of 30 something travellers in the mix! Sadly I leave on the 21st to head to the UK.

Jrummy April 17, 2015 at 4:28 am

Love this piece. Short, sweet, humorous and to the freaking point! I am headed there in a week for the Full Moon Bash and am so stoked. Good to know what my budget should be for our group. Im thinking 24 is the perfect age for some flaming jump ropes and buckets lol.

sallymunt sallymunt April 17, 2015 at 4:50 pm

It is awesome… I would stay stay away from the fire jumping but it is not going to stop you is it haha! Pffft at 24 you should be able to do it twice :)