Travelling has taught me so much. I strongly believe it is the best education you can get. I know I still have so much to discover, but here are some lessons that I had to learn the hard way. Some of them I already knew, some are obvious, some silly, some serious and some are embarrassing. Here we go.
1. Travelling helps you discover exactly what you are capable of. Yes I can climb a volcano or fight off a Komodo Dragon with my bare hands (Disclaimer, I did not have to do this but very nearly).
2. There is a McDonalds EVERYWHERE!
3. Elephant pants have a time and a place. Backpacking in exotic locations. Not Southend town centre.
4. The kindness of strangers demonstrates that people in general are amazing. But don’t ignore your gut feeling some people are CRAZY.
5. Your independence gets exercised to the extreme. Confidence in yourself and your decisions grows.
6. Do not wear denim shorts swimming or to an all day water fight. Chubb rub is not pleasant.
7. I can survive without my daily western lifestyle luxuries. No laptop, no hair dryer, limited beauty products and make-up. It is easy when everyone is doing it.
8. No matter how spicy you like your food, NEVER order Thai spicy!
9. Worry is your attempting to control the outcome of a situation. In life there are very few things you have control over. Stop worrying!
10. ‘Comparison is the thief of joy’ Theodore Roosevelt. It does not matter what everyone else has or is doing. Be happy with what you have and what you are doing.
11. The world is a lot better place after a well needed nap.
12. Life is short. It is more important to be happy than rich and powerful.
13. Your whole life can change in a month, but your hometown will be just as you left it.
14. No matter how many you see across the world, Sunsets will always be epic.
15. If you cannot carry your own bag, get rid of some of that shit!
16. Never complain about the weather. It is never too hot. It will probably be raining tomorrow.
17. Travelling SE Asia will make your leg hair grow slower. Who knew! Yay less shaving. (Is this the case for anyone else??).
18. Don’t touch Asian people on the head. Even if they are super cute.. It is considered very rude.
19. Cockroaches are more scared of you than you are of them.
20. Homesickness can strike at any time. So can diarrhoea. Always carry tissues. And wet wipes.